A granite countertop can boost the value of your home. It is a type of natural stone that is recognized for its rich beauty that not every stone can match. It is timeless and appeals to many people, making it a highly fancied countertop design.
But what are the other positive aspects of having a granite countertop? Are there also disadvantages of using granite for your countertop? Let us discuss some of it below.
Advantages of Granites Countertops
The pros of theses types of countertops are as follows:
- We can use granite countertops for any home style, whether you are in a farmhouse and have your kitchen fitted with a granite countertop, it will not look out of place because of the natural appeal of this stone.
- It can also look good in a mansion because of the element of luxury it will bring to the place. It is like making a bold statement in your home because of the terrific appearance of granite countertops.
- When you have it fitted in your kitchen, you will have a look of timeless elegance, and you have the luxury of finding the best shades of color that you prefer and will look good in any setup you place it in.
Broad color options
- There are blue and green granites, shades of pink and red or gray, and even pure black and white. You will have the freedom to choose colors and patterns cause there are many choices available.
- Granite has uniqueness, and each slab won’t look the same.
- Choosing the right pattern and fit that will complement the overall appearance of your house is what you can also focus on.
Popular for their durability
- Granite is a hardy and sturdy choice for your countertop. It is difficult to scratch and will not quickly get damaged when exposed to heat.
- Some materials used on the countertop, when exposed to heat, may cause damage to the protective layer and may show some scorching, but not granite because you can place hot pots and pans on top of it as it is highly heat resistant.
- Though this is not an issue with granite countertops, it is also not advised to make this a hobby so you can ensure the longevity of your granite.
Easy to Clean and Maintain
- Granite does not react to acid as easily as marble does. Marble can show etching, when exposed to acids from vinegar, lemon juice, or any acidic cleaning solution.
- Staining your granite countertop does not happen as much with this stone. You do have to clean it to keep it sanitized and dry it from time to time with water and soap. It is also the simplest cleaning-solution to have around the house.
Molds and bacteria don’t have a chance with sealed granite countertops
- Coating your granite can be such a big help to further keep it away from scratching or water retention cause having it sealed is like a cover that tightly encased your countertop.
- When there is moisture on your countertop, it becomes prone to getting mold and bacteria to grow. With a sealed granite, you have nothing more to worry about.
We consider it an affordable option for the time you can enjoy its functionality
- Though there is a cheaper option, getting a granite can be a wise idea because you only need to add more to your budget and have high functioning, durable and elegant countertops for years.
Here we enlist some cons of these countertops:
It can be expensive for some homeowner’s budget
- Granite may be pricey sometimes. The thickness of granite slabs can be one one of the reasons to add up to the cost per square foot compared with other materials.
- Having other material for your countertop can cost you less, like laminate, marble, Corian, among others.
It is cold to the skin
- Some homeowners complain about the coldness of the granite surface, you cannot even lean on it for too long if you don’t want to feel the iciness.
- You need to have some mat on top of it if you don’t want to feel the uncomfortable surface temperature. It can still get damaged and show chipping or cracking
It can still get damaged and show chipping or cracking.
- If you dropped a heavy object on top of granite, it will probably get cracks, and this will be ghastly to look at which will most likely require fixing by a repair specialist.
- It is also not possible to restore counters with severe cracks because it needs a full replacement. We can also help you with that!
Unsealed granite can present problems, eventually
- Without sealing your granite, it’s prone to absorbing wine, juice, and oil that can create an ugly stain to show. Best practice is installing a sealed granite countertop and resealing it at least every year as a preventive measure.
Because of its longevity, it may take a while before you find a reason to replace it
- Some homeowners don’t want to let go of anything inside their home that is still usable, and one thing they may find hard to get rid of is the granite kitchen countertop.
- Though this is an advantage in some way, this is also a disadvantage, especially when there are changing trends all the time. The look of your granite counter may not look good today compared to 8 years ago, not because it has split in two but because of the changing designs and style of counters.
- Changing granite will depend on your preference cause you can always have it replaced with other countertop materials.
It is heavy
- Granite is heavy, and it may need reinforcement underneath if you are to place cabinets. Make sure that the cabinets can support the weight of the granite and check the thickness of the granite that you will install as well. A professional installer can do this perfectly and will have more knowledge about installing granites without impediment.